Monday, June 16, 2008

People who dump dogs.....

make my blood boil! It is especially heartbreaking to see old dogs dumped. Apparently this is the way some people say thanks for being my dog, but I no longer need you.

There is a 13 year old intact vizsla bitch in California at a high kill shelter. WTF? This kind of dumping is the worst kind.

As most of you know, Dan and I handle vizsla rescue for northern Illinois. We are lucky in that our local breeders take responsibility for the pups that they breed so most of the dogs who come our way were originally purchased at a pet store (Happiness is Pets), were strays from the shelter or who came from a crappy breeder who does not take responsibility for the dogs that they breed.

Here is a list of excuses I have gotten from people who want to turn their dog into rescue:
- "He has bitten all of my kids, plus me and my husband so he needs to be in a different home"
- "I can't exercise him"
- "He has a heart murmur and I can't afford the medicine"
- "I can't keep her because of personal reasons"
- "I can't afford to keep him."
- "I bought her as a companion for my other dog and we don't want her anymore"
- "I am getting a divorce"
- "We are having a baby"
- "We bought her for the kids and they are back in school so we don't want her anymore"
- "We are moving and don't want to take him with"

The list goes on and on. My absolute favorite (insert sarcasm here) is the poor old girl who was left at the dog park. What a cowardly thing to do.... people who do this are asshats!

This type of thing does not just happen in vizslas, it happens in all breeds and in all animal/pet industries. It is just sad.

I understand that not every dog (insert any pet in here) works in every situation. I just found a new home for one of my personal dogs. What I have a problem with is people and breeders who are not stepping up to the plate and taking care of their responsibilities.

1 comment:

Delilah and Rocket said...

AMEN! Good rant. I'm right behind you on that soap box!

Have you read Dennis' Diary of Destruction? http://dennisthevizsla.wordpress.com/rogues-gallery-dennis/

What a great blog .... abandonded, rescued, destroyed house, turned into good dog.